WILLIAMSBURG, Kentucky -- The Siena Heights baseball team started 0-2 on the season today as they dropped a game to #11 Cumberland (Ky.) and a game to Midway (Ky.) in Williamsburg, Kentucky. Logan Nolff (Senior, Monore, Mich.) led the Saints at the plate batting 3-7 (.428) on the day.
Final Scores: Game 1: Cumberland (Ky.) 10, Siena Heights 3 Game 2: Midway (Ky.) 3, Siena Heights 2
Location: Williamsburg, Kentucky (Doyle-Buhl Stadium)
Records: Cumberland (Ky.) (5-0), Midway (Ky.) (2-7), Siena Heights (0-2)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Game 1: Cumberland (Ky.) def. Siena Heights, 10-3 (7 innings)
The Saints would leave three runners on base in the 1st inning before surrendering its first run on defense in the bottom half. Bryan Leef for the Patriots reached base on a Siena wild throw that would score Kevin Rolon and Pedro Nazario. Leef scored on a ground out by Austin Madry. The bases were loaded and Andres Rolon singled to right field to score two runs giving Cumberland a 5-0 lead at the end of the first inning. The second and third innings would remain scoreless on both ends with Tristian Roth (Senior, Woodville, Ohio) and Colton Easterwood allowing no runs.
Madry scored off a ground out to second by Britton Elmore then Andres Rolon scored off a single to center by Kevin Rolon to update the score to 7-0 for the Patriots. Cumberland got the first three Siena batters out at the top of the fifth inning and Austin McCaig (Junior, Dearborn, Mich.) would come into pitch, replacing Tristian Roth (Senior, Woodville, Ohio). Austin Madry hit a three-run home run over the leftfield fence to increase the Patriots lead to 10-0.
The Saints would finally be able to put themselves on the board as Parker Mabe (Freshman, Fenton, Mich.) singled to second and would score off a single by Logan Nolff (Senior, Monroe, Mich.). Jarrett Cousino (Sophomore, Oregon, Ohio) and Jacob Jackson (Freshman, Ajax, Ontario) lead off the inning by reaching base setting SHU up for some small ball. A sacrifice bunt by Collin Bammer (Sophomore, Grosse Ile, Mich.) would help the Saints scoring opportunity. Mabe singled to right-center that scored Cousino and Jackson as the game ended giving the Patriots the 10-3 victory.
• Mabe went 2-4, scored one run, and had two RBIs
• Nolff went 2-4 and had one RBI.
• Cousino and Jackson each scored one run.
• Roth (L, 0-1) pitched four innings and had three strikeouts.
• McCaig pitched two innings and had one strikeout.
THE OPPOSITION HITTING
• Andres Rolon went 2-3, had two RBIs, and scored one run.
• Austin Madry went 1-3, had four RBIs, and scored two runs.
• Candido Encarnacion went 2-2 and scored two runs.
THE OPPOSITION PITCHING
• Colton Easterwood pitched six innings with eight strikeouts.
• Wyatt Wade pitched one inning with one strikeout.
Game 2: Midway (Ky.) def. Siena Heights, 3-2 (7 innings)
Tyson Orr for the Eagles reached on a walk in the bottom of the first inning and would score off a double down the left-field line by Graeham Luttor. Siena had the bases loaded as Trevor Hulvey (Sophomore, Sterling Heights, Mich.), Trever Fluke (Freshman, Ypsilanti, Mich.), and Nic Olson (Senior, Howell, Mich.) reached on base but could not capitalize as Jacob Jackson (Freshman, Ajax, Ontario) struck out and Cody Henderson (Sophomore, Lewiston, Montana) hit into a double-play. Midway had batters reach on a few Saints errors and Ethan Boyles scored off a double by Noah Marion to left-center to give them the 2-0 lead.
The second through fourth innings remained scoreless for the Eagles as Marcus Beeson (Junior, St. Louis, Mich.) for Siena allowed no runs and Andy Melgoza for the Eagles allowed no runs to the Saints for six straight innings. Three Midway batters made it on base at the bottom of the sixth inning and Cameron Nichols scored off a Saints wild throw to increase the lead to 3-0.
Siena would look to close out the game in the 7th inning. Cal Olmstead (Junior, Riga, Mich.) singled to center field and would advance to second base off a single to shallow left by Parker Mabe (Freshman, Fenton, Mich). Logan Nolff (Senior, Monroe, Mich.) tripled deep right-center scoring Olmstead and Mabe cutting the deficit to only one run. The final push for the Saints came up short as they left one runner on base and Midway earned the 3-2 victory.
• Nolff went 1-3 with two RBIs.
• Olmstead went 1-2 scoring one run.
• Hulvey went 1-2 and Mabe scored one run.
• Marcus Beeson (L, 0-1) (Junior, St. Louis, Mich.) pitched four innings with two strikeouts.
• Wyatt West (Senior, Taylor, Mich.) pitched two innings with one strikeout.
THE OPPOSITION HITTING
• Graeham Luttor went 2-3 with one RBI.
• Tyson Orr went 1-1 scoring one run.
• Noah Marion went 1-2 with one RBI.
THE OPPOSITION PITCHING
• Andy Melgoza pitched five innings with six strikeouts.
• Anibal Salado pitched two innings with two strikeouts.
The Saints will take on the Cumberland (Ky.) Patriots again tomorrow, February 16th for a 12:00 P.M. doubleheader to round out opening weekend in Williamsburg, Kentucky at Doyle-Buhl Stadium.