WILLIAMSBURG, Kentucky -- The Siena Heights baseball team rounded out their opening weekend in Williamsburg, Kentucky with two losses to #11 Cumberland (Ky.) for a 0-4 start to the season. Trevor Hulvey (Sophomore, Sterling Heights, Mich.) led the Saints as he went 3-6 (.500) while earning two RBIs on the day.
Final Scores: Game 1: Cumberland (Ky.) 2, Siena Heights 1 Game 2: Cumberland (Ky.) 3, Siena Heights 2
Location: Williamsburg, Kentucky (Doyle-Buhl Stadium)
Records: Cumberland (Ky.) (8-0), Siena Heights (0-4)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Game 1: Cumberland (Ky.) def. Siena Heights, 2-1 (7 innings)
The Saints and Patriots battled out a game of defense and pitching as there were only a combined 12 hits during the game. The first four innings were scoreless and Parker Swartz (Sophomore, Toledo, Ohio) and Nathan Geissler for the Patriots allowed no runs on the mound.
Siena's offense got active at the top of the fifth inning as Trever Fluke (Freshman, Ypsilanti, Mich.), Jarrett Cousino (Sophomore, Oregon, Ohio), and Cal Olmstead (Junior, Riga, Mich.) all singled while Fluke scored off of Cousino's hit to put the Saints on the board for the 1-0 lead.
Siena had two hits at the top of the sixth inning but left three batters on base as they were unable to bring a run in. The Patriots answered back as Ray Villanueva, Austin Madry, and Britton Elmore all reached base then Kevin Rolon hit a sacrifice fly to left field that scored Villanueva to tie the game at 1-1 going into the final inning.
The Saints were unable to connect any hits to earn a run as they headed into the bottom of the seventh inning looking to hold off Cumberland. Bryan Leef and Candido Encarnacion both reached base on walks for the Patriots. Ray Villanueva doubled to deep left-center field that would score Leef for the game-winning run to close the deal for Cumberland.
• Trevor Hulvey went 2-3.
• Fluke went 1-2 and scored one run.
• Cousino went 1-3 and had the lone RBI of the game for Siena.
• Swartz pitched four innings only giving up three hits and struck out four.
• Jacob Simmers (Junior, New Boston, Mich.) pitched 1.1 innings giving up one hit and run.
• Trevor Willis (Senior, Tecumseh, Mich.) (L, 0-1) pitched 1.1 innings giving up two hits and one run while striking out one.
THE OPPOSITION HITTING
• Villanueva had the game-winning RBI as he went 2-3 and scored one run.
• Elmore went 2-3.
• Leef scored one run and Kevin Rolon had one RBI.
THE OPPOSITION PITCHING
• Geissler pitched six innings giving up six hits and one run and struck out seven.
• Jacob Ayala (W) pitched one innings while striking out one
Game 2: Cumberland (Ky.) def. Siena Heights, 3-2 (7 innings)
The first three innings were scoreless for the Saints as Walter Hernandez allowed no runs for the Patriots. The first two innings were scoreless for Cumberland as Michael Jones (Senior, Taylor, Mich.) also allowed no runs.
Kevin Rolon was up first for the Patriots at the bottom of the third inning and hit a homer to put give them the 1-0 lead. Siena answered back as Parker Mabe (Freshman, Fenton, Mich.) and Jacob Jackson (Freshman, Ajax, Ontario) reached on base by walks, Logan Nolff (Senior, Monroe, Mich.) doubled down the left-field line, and Hulvey grounded out to short scoring Mabe to tie the game.
Cumberland took the lead 2-1 in the bottom of the fourth inning as Alex Dominguez double to deep left and Rhett Gipe doubled to deep left scoring Dominguez. The Patriots would strike back again as Kevin Rolon reached on a walk and Ray Villanueva tripled to right scoring Rolon to give them the 3-1 lead.
Made double down the left-field line for the Saints at the top of the sixth inning and Hulvey single to shallow right scoring Mabe to update the score to 3-2. Siena looked to take the lead in the top of the seventh inning but they were unable to capitalize giving the Patriots the 3-2 win.
• Nolff went 2-4.
• Hulvey went 1-3 with 2 RBIs that scored both runs.
• Mabe went 1-2 scoring both runs.
• Jones pitched four innings giving up five hits and two runs while striking out one.
• Zach Bloom (Sophomore, Swanton, Ohio) pitched 1.2 innings giving up one hit and run while striking out two.
• Andrew Werth (Junior, Dearborn, Mich.) pitched 0.1 innings and faced one batter.
THE OPPOSITION HITTING
• Villanueva went 1-3 with one RBI.
• Gipe went 1-3 with one RBI.
• K. Rolon went 1-1 with one RBI and scored two runs. Dominguez also scored one run.
THE OPPOSITION PITCHING
• Hernandez pitched five innings giving up three hits and two runs while striking out eight.
• Marcus Cuenca pitched 1.1 innings giving up one hit and struck out one.
• Bryan Juarez pitched 0.2 innings striking out one.
The Saints travel to face #25 Campbellsville (Ky.) on Saturday, February 22nd for a doubleheader. The first pitch is scheduled for 1:00 P.M. EST.