LAKE WALES, Florida -- The Siena Heights baseball team broke their losing streak as they earned their first win of the season and split on the day. They lost the first game to Mount Vernon Nazarene (Ohio) 5-0 and won the second game against Warner (Fla.) 2-0. Parker Mabe (Freshman, Fenton, Mich.) earned an RBI in the second game to earn the Saints' first win of the season.
Final Score: Game 1: Mount Vernon Nazarene (Ohio) 5, Siena Heights 0 / Game 2: Siena Heights 2, Warner (Fla.) 0
Location: Lake Wales, Florida
Records: Mount Vernon Nazarene (Ohio) (16-5), Warner (Fla.) (10-17), Siena Heights (1-16)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Game 1: Mount Vernon Nazarene (Ohio) def. Siena Heights, 5-0 (7 innings)
The Saints struggled at the plate for the entirety of the game as they were held to only three hits as Luke Tucker (W, 3-0) pitched a shut out for Mount Vernon Nazarene.
After three scoreless innings, the Cougars got things started as they scored four runs. Devin Pearl double to right-center and advanced to third off a single by Cameron Miller. Damien Kandel reached first on an error scoring Pearl and advancing Miller to second. Cory Clark grounded out to the pitcher advancing Kandel and Miller. Nick Moser doubled to right-center for three RBIs scoring Wallac, Kandel, and Miller to end the inning 4-0.
Mount Vernon Nazarene earned one more run in the bottom of the sixth inning. Moser walked and advanced to second on a wild pitch. Chris Kline doubled to right-center scoring Moser to end the game with the 5-0 win.
• Thomas Lamnek (Freshman, Locust Grove, Georgia) finished 1-for-2.
• Parker Swartz (L, 0-2) (Sophomore, Toledo, Ohio) pitched 5.2 innings allowing seven hits and five runs while striking out six.
• Moser finished 2-for-3 earning three RBIs and scoring one run.
• Kline went 2-4 as he had one RBI.
• Tucker pitched seven innings allowing three hits and no runs while striking out nine.
Game 2: Siena Heights def. Warner (Fla.), 2-0 (8 innings)
The Saints scored the only runs in the game with two in the first inning. Cameron Hammer (Freshman, Temperance, Mich.) reached base on a walk and stole second. Jakob Scroggie (Sophomore, New Boston, Mich.) walked while Trevor Hulvey (Sophomore, Sterling Heights, Mich.) reached on a fielder's choice that advanced Scroggie and scored Hammer. Next up, Mabe singled to center field scoring Scroggie for an RBI.
The remainder of the game was scoreless as the Royals were held to only three hits as Tristan Roth (W, 1-0) (Senior, Woodville, Ohio) pitched a shutout for the Saints for the 2-0 victory.
• Mabe finished 1-for-2 earning one RBI.
• Roth pitched seven innings only allowing three hits and no runs while striking out seven.
• Rico Russell went 2-3.
• Tad Stackowski finished 1-for-3.
• Wilson Lorenzo (L, 0-1) pitched seven innings allowing one hit and two runs while striking out three.
The Saints will wait for the rest of today's games to be finished to know what seed they are that will determine who and what time they will play tomorrow.