ADRIAN, Mich. -- The Siena Heights football team ended the regular season with a 21-10 defeat at home game against #15 Concordia (Mich.). D'aries Davis finished with 193 yards rushing yards and a touchdown in the losing effort.
Final Score: Concordia 21, SHU 10
Location: Adrian, Michigan (O'Laughlin Stadium)
Records: Concordia (9-2, 5-1 MSFA), SHU (7-3, 3-3 MSFA)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Concordia broke the tie in the first quarter with a one-yard touchdown run by Joe Conner that capped a nine play, 66-yard drive with 11:08 remaining in the opening quarter.
Siena would tie the game at the 11:42 mark of the second quarter with a 40-yard touchdown run by Davis that finished a nine-play, 78-yard drive. The teams would take a 7-7 tie into the locker room for the half.
The Saints would settle for a 36-yard field goal after not being able to capitalize on a 49-yard reception by Adam Glanders. Tanguay's field goal gave SHU its first lead of the game, 10-7.
On the next drive, Conner would answer with a 71-yard touchdown sprint that retook the lead for the Cardinals, 14-10 with 33 seconds remaining in the third quarter.
After forcing the Saints to punt, Conner struck again with a third rushing touchdown, this time from 20-yards out that would seal the victory for Concordia.
The Cardinals ran 80 plays compared to the Saints 49 for the game. SHU outpaced Concordia by averaging 7.3 yards-per-play; the Cardinals averaged 5.1.
• Davis's 193 rushing yards put his season total at 1,093 for the season. Davis finishes his career as the Saints all-time leading rusher with 2729 career-rushing yards.
• Tyler Knecht finished 7-18 passing for 141 yards in the game.
• Glanders tallied four catches for 78 yards.
• Deontae' Rush had one catch for 42 yards in the game.
• Nick Stalworth led the Saints defense with 15 tackles on the day.
• Griffin Sobol contributed 14 tackles, two for loss.
• Izayah Newsom had seven tackles and blocked a field goal.
• Tanguay finished 1/2 in field goals with a long of 36 yards.
• Caleb Meister punted five times for 157 yards while pinning two inside the 20.
• Conner finished with 36 carries for 267 yards. He scored all three Cardinal touchdowns in the game.
• Roger Engle was 11-23 passing for 86 yards.
• Donte Desalle led the receivers with five catches for 39 yards.
• Reggie Thompson, Alex Hinojosa, and Jay Koski each led the team with six tackles.
• Andrew O'Hara picked of Knecht twice in the game.
• Ross O'Brien's only field goal attempt was blocked by Newsom.
• O'Hara punted four times for 128 yards and pinned one inside the 20.
Siena made history this season with the first seven-win campaign in program history. The team also had its first 5-0 start as a program this year and it was the first time the team began a season with two road games. The Saints finished as high as 20 in the NAIA Football Coaches' Top 25 poll this season.