ADRIAN, Mich. -- The Siena Heights men's basketball fell to Wolverine-Hoosier Athletic Conference (WHAC) opponent Madonna by 30 points, on Wednesday night. DeMarco Dickerson (Senior, Detroit, Mich.) led the Saints with 14 points, five rebounds, and a team-high of three assists.
Final Score: Madonna 89, Siena Heights 58
Location: Adrian, Michigan (SHU Fieldhouse)
Records: Madonna (17-7, 9-5 WHAC), Siena Heights (10-13, 7-7 WHAC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
The teams traded possession during the beginning of the first half as the score remained close. Siena took the lead (12-10) after a pair of free throws were good by Dickerson and Kevin Rice (Junior, Detroit, Mich.) made a layup with 12:43 on the clock. The Crusaders earned a double-digit lead (24-14) after they scored 11 straight points sparked by a dunk by Mark Mettie at the 8:32 mark. The Saints cut the deficit to eight (29-21) after a layup was good by PJ Austin (Senior, Cleveland, Ohio) with 3:42 left on the clock. Madonna increased the score to 45-24 as Dwight Burton made a three-point shot as the game went into intermission.
The Crusaders gained momentum in the second half and never looked back as they gained a cushion of 30 points (64-34) after a layup by Burton with 13:59 left to play in the game. Madonna maintained a 30 point lead over the Saints for the majority of the second half as they struggled to catch up. Siena scored seven straight points (85-56) after three free throws were good by Austin, a jumper was made by Joshua Moody (Freshman, Detroit, Mich.) and Jordan Wyckoff (Sophomore, Detroit, Mich.) scored a layup with 1:50 left on the clock. The Crusaders would walk away with the 89-58 victory.
• Dickerson went 6-14 from the floor, 1-3 from beyond the arch, and 1-1 from the charity stripe.
• Keith Jordan Jr. (Senior, Toledo, Ohio) tallied 14 points, three rebounds, and a team-high of two steals. He went 5-13 from the floor, 1-4 on three point-attempts, and 3-5 on free throw attempts.
• Duncan had a team-high of two blocks and Rice had a team-high of eight rebounds.
• Burton led the Crusaders with 31 points, three rebounds, a team-high of four assists, and one steal. He went 14-23 from the floor, 2-6 from beyond the arch, and 1-2 on free throw attempts.
• Joshua Reynolds contributed 29 points, six rebounds, one assist, and a team-high of two steals. He went 9-15 from the floor, 6-10 on three-point attempts, and 5-6 from the charity stripe.
• Mettie tallied 15 points, a team-high of eight rebounds and six blocks. He went 5-7 from the floor and 5-8 on free throw attempts.
The Saints host #13 Lourdes (Ohio) in a road Wolverine-Hoosier Athletic Conference (WHAC) matchup on Saturday, February 1st. The game is scheduled to tip-off at 3:00 p.m., EST.