ADRIAN, Mich. -- Stosh Kowalski scored a desperation goal with one second remaining in the first overtime period to give the Siena Heights men's lacrosse team a 10-9 win on Wednesday night.
Final Score: Siena Heights 10, Lourdes 9 (F/OT)
Location: Adrian, Mich. (O'Laughlin Stadium)
Records: Siena Heights (6-4, 3-2 WHAC), Lourdes (6-4, 2-3 WHAC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
The lead was extended to 3-0 when Gallaher recorded a goal from Mamo in the opening two minutes of the second quarter. Lourdes got on the board with 4:22 left in the first half to put things at 3-1. Gallaher scored a man-up goal from Danny Kreitzer with just over three minutes left. The Gray Wolves would score seven seconds later to cut the SHU lead to just two goals. Gilbert would score his second goal with 48 seconds left in the first half. Lourdes shook the net with 15 seconds left in the half before Nolan Lyons scored with seven seconds left on the clock to give the Saints a 6-3 lead as both teams headed into the locker room at the half.
The Gray Wolves scored first in the third quarter to cut the SHU lead to two goals. Gallaher scored his second goal with 9:20 left in the quarter to put SHU back up by three. The Siena lead would stay at three goals as the teams traded another goal for an 8-5 score going into the fourth quarter.
Lourdes rattled off four-straight goals to start the fourth quarter to take a 9-8 lead with just 4:11 left to play in regulation. Nate Ford tied the score at nine with a goal at the 2:19 mark. Neither team could score again before the end of regulation.
The Gray Wolves tallied two shots in the overtime period but couldn't beat Siena goalie Vinnie Jean (W, 4-3). The Saints tallied one shot in the overtime and it was all they needed as Kowalski launched a desperation shot from about 30 yards away that bounced off the turf and beat the Lourdes goalie with one second left on the clock for the game-winning goal.
• Gallaher totaled five points with a hat-trick and two assists in the game. He scooped up six ground balls and caused two turnovers.
• Mamo finished with two goals and two assists while registering two ground balls and a caused turnover.
• Gilbert scored twice while recording two ground balls.
• Jean finished the game with eight ground balls and made 23 saves in net.
• Danny Benson, Chad Causley, and Cory Campbell each scored two goals to lead the Gray Wolves.
• Jake Noel had a game-high 18 ground balls. He was 18-20 in faceoffs.
The Saints travel to face Taylor (Ind.) in a Wolverine-Hoosier Athletic Conference game on Saturday, April 13. The game is scheduled to begin at 1:00 p.m. EDT.