FORT WAYNE, IND. -- The Siena Heights men's soccer team took a loss on Wednesday night to Saint Francis (Ind.) after a score of 3-2. Chris Ornelas (Belding, Mich.) recorded five shots on the night, 3 of which were on goal and one making it in goal in the losing effort for the Saints.
Final Score: Saint Francis (Ind.) 3, Siena Heights 2
Location: Fort Wayne, Ind. (Bishop D'Arcy Stadium)
Records: Siena Heights (3-2), Saint Francis (Ind.) (2-1)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Saint Francis was able to start the scoring off in the 15th minute of play when Ethan Vigario netted a ball from Juan Bucaram to give the Cougars the lead. The Saints would shortly strike back as they scored their first goal to tie it up when Ornelas found the net. Shots on the first period were deadlock as Saint Francis slightly edged the Saints 11 to nine. The same would go for cornerkicks on the period as the Saints slightly edged Saint Francis five to four.
The second half became eventful as Siena capatalized on a scoring opportuinty after 38 minutes of no action during game play. Brayden Stephan (Highland, Mich.) found the net at the 59th minute of play to help put the Saints in the lead. The Cougars put up a fight as they scored just three minutes later to push the game to a tie when their goal was scored by Jacob Woodruff. Saint Francis kept the momentum going as they found the net again when Vigario scored his second goal on the night from an assist by Elmar Martinez to but the Cougars in the lead. Siena would try to piece something together late in the half but were unable to net any goals securing Saint Francis the win and leaving the Saints to a tough loss. Shots on the second period were also very close as Saint Francis slightly edged the Saints eight to six. The same would go for cornerkicks on the period as the Saints slightly edged Saint Francis four to three.
• Ornelas led the Saints with five shots, three which were on goal and one making it in goal in an effort to put them on the board.
• Stephan recorded two shots, two which were on goal and one making it in goal.
• Leo Hisamatsu (L, 1-2) made ten saves on the night in 90 minutes of play for the Saints.
• Vigario led Saint Francis with seven shots, four of which were on goal and scoring two goals on the night in the winning effort.
• Woodruff recorded three shots, two of which were on goal and making one shot in net.
• Braden Conn (W, 2-1) saved six shots between the pipes for the Cougars.
The Saints take a break and will be back at home to face Marian (Ind.) next Sunday, September 15th. The game is scheduled to kick off at 1:00 p.m. EDT