ADRIAN, Mich. -- The Siena Heights men's soccer team shut out Cornerstone in a Wolverine-Hoosier Athletic Conference (WHAC) matchup on Wednesday night. Matheus Santos (Freshman, Porto Alegre, Rio Grande do Sul) scored his first goal of the season.
Final Score: Siena Heights 2, Cornerstone 0
Location: Adrian, Mich. (O'Laughlin Stadium)
Records: Siena Heights (6-7, 3-3 WHAC), Cornerstone (1-11-1, 0-6 WHAC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
The Golden Eagles offense came out dominating as they controlled possession most of the first half but struggled to put the ball past Saints goalkeeper Leo Hisamatsu (Senior, Osaka, Japan). SHU opened the scoring as Santos netted a ball off a breakaway pass from Gustavo Barros (Junior, Porto Alegre, Rio Grande do Sul) in the 10th minute. The rest of the half remained deadlock and SHU would head to the locker room with a 1-0 lead. The Saints put up seven shots compared to Cornerstone's four.
The Golden Eagles edged the Saints on offense as they put up 11 shots in the second half compared to SHU's seven. The Saints got lucky as Cornerstone scored the equalizer but was overturned as a Golden Eagle forward had a foul on Saints goalkeeper Hisamatsu in the box. Andrew Kozan (W, 4-2) came in for Hisamatsu due to an injury after the foul. The remainder of the half was a battle as each team had a few yellow cards and the Golden Eagles had one red card. Alexander Mittag (Junior, Utica, Mich.) scored off an assist by Justin Gray (Senior, Fraser, Mich.) as he slotted a pass through the defense in the 75th minute. Cornerstone's final push came up short and the Saints held on for the win.
• Santos earned a goal. Mittag tallied his second goal on the season.
• Barros and Gray each recorded an assist.
• Hisamatsu made five saves in the 63 minutes he played. Kozan (Junior, Canton, Mich.) made six saves in the 28 minutes he played.
• Lucas Ribeiro recorded three shots on goal.
• David Dwumfour-Poku, Michah Boggs, Logan Johns, and Welamaza Magwentshu each tallied two shots on goal.
• Joshua Mitchell (L, 0-10-1) made five saves between the pipes for the Golden Eagles.
The Saints will host UNOH in a WHAC contest on Saturday, October 19th. The game is scheduled to kick off at 1:00 p.m., EDT.