GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. -- The Siena Heights men's soccer team fell to Wolverine-Hoosier Athletic Conference opponent Cornerstone on Saturday night to round out the fall 2020 portion of the season. Andrew Kozan (L, 3-3) (Sr. | Canton, Mich.) made five stops in net for the Saints in the losing effort.
Final Score: Cornerstone 1, Siena Heights 0
Location: Grand Rapids, Mich. (CU Soccer Stadium)
Records: Cornerstone (2-2, 2-1 WHAC), Siena Heights (1-3, 1-3 WHAC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
The Golden Eagles offense pressed as they registered eight shots in the first half compared to the Saints' five. The remainder of the half was a scoreless deadlock as both teams had a few scoring opportunities but neither was able to find the back of the net as the game was sent into half time.
The Golden Eagles broke the tie in the 61st minute of the game off a crossed ball into the top of the box from Roberto Razo that allowed Allan Barrientos to beat Kozan across the goal. Siena gained momentum as they put up five shots. SHU's push to score the equalizer came up short as Alan Mendoza (W, 2-2) helped lead Cornerstone to the win in goal.
Cornerstone outshot the Saints 14-9 and had eight corner kicks compared to SHU's six. The Golden Eagles tallied 13 fouls to Siena's ten.
• Robert D'Angelo (So. | Richmond Hill, Ontario) registered two shots on goal.
• Alexander Mittag (Sr. | Utica, Mich.) tallied two shots on the night.
• Cezar Oliveira (Fr. | Sao Jose do Norte, RS, Brazil), Gustavo Barros (Sr. | Porto Alegre, Rio Grande do Sul), and Marcelo Rocha (Fr. | Porto Alegre, Rio Grande do Sul) respectively tallied one shot on the game.
• Barrientos earned the game-winning goal and recorded three shots on goal.
• Razo had the assist from Barrientos' goal.
• Mendoza tallied six saves between the pipes for the Golden Eagles in the winning effort.
The Saints finished the Fall 2020 portion of the season and will finish the remainder of their season in Spring 2021 due to COVID-19.