ELGIN, Ill. -- The Siena Heights men's volleyball team completed a clean sweep on the opening day of the Judson Tournament in Elgin, Illinois. The Saints began the day with a 3-0 win over Lindenwood-Belleville before finishing with a 3-0 sweep of Robert Morris (Ill.). Emmanuel Chaidez combined for 22 kills to lead Siena to the 2-0 day.
Final Scores: Game 1: Siena Heights 3, Lindenwood-Belleville 0 (25-20, 32-30, 25-10) | Game 2: Siena Heights 3, Robert Morris (Ill.) 0 (28-25, 25-18, 25-17)
Location: Elgin, Ill. (Linder Fitness Center)
Record: Siena Heights (6-2)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Siena used a 13 kill (.296) performance to pull ahead 1-0 after a five-point win in game one. The Saints needed extra points to take a 2-0 lead (32-30). SHU finished game two with 16 kills (.368). Siena wrapped up the match with a 25-10 win after accumulating a match-high .375 hitting percentage.
In the final match of the day, the Saints took a 1-0 lead over the Eagles of Robert Morris (Ill.) after a 28-26 decision. Siena would take a 2-0 lead after earning a 25-18 win in the second set. Much like the first match, the Saints tallied a match-high hitting percentage in the third set (.462) to complete the perfect sweep of the day.
• Chaidez finished with 11 kills in each of the matches for his total of 22 on the day. He also tallied five blocks on the afternoon.
• Keegan Crawford had 58 assists in the two matches. He also contributed on defense with 13 digs.
• Alex Garavalia led the Saints against Robert Morris (Ill.) with nine digs to finish with a total of 14 on the day.
• Diego Tamayo led Lindenwood-Belleville in the first match with 11 kills. Jeffrey Carmody had 30 assists, and Kyle Monton tallied 12 digs.
• Manny Andrade was the leader for the Eagles with 16 kills. Bobby Ying had 25 assists, and Nicholas Allen had seven digs.
The Saints will finish the Judson Tournament tomorrow with a match against Lincoln (Ill.) at 9:00 a.m. and a match against Mt. Mercy at 11:00 a.m.