ADRIAN, Mich. -- The Siena Heights men's volleyball team suffered a 3-0 loss against the second-ranked Lourdes Gray Wolves on Wednesday night. Emmanuel Chaidez led the Saints with seven kills in the losing effort.
Final Score: (2) Lourdes 3, (RV) Saints 0 (25-21, 25-18, 25-23)
Location: Adrian, Michigan (SHU Fieldhouse)
Records: Lourdes (10-2, 3-0 WHAC), Siena Heights (9-7, 2-3 WHAC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
The Saints jumped out to a 9-4 lead in the first set before a 5-0 run by Lourdes knotted things up at nine all. The teams traded points in an opening game that saw 10 tie scores and three lead changes. The Gray Wolves used a 5-1 run at the end of the first set to pull out the 25-21 decision and gain a 1-0 lead on the home team.
Siena built a 10-4 lead to start the second set. Lourdes cut the deficit to two points after a 4-0 lead put the score at 11-9. The Saints held the lead up to a 15-10 advantage before the Gray Wolves rallied with a 9-0 run that gave Lourdes a 19-15 lead before eventually taking set two 25-18.
Similar to the first two sets, Siena jumped out to a lead at the start with a 4-0 headstart. Set three would see 11 tie scores, the first of which came at seven points, and five lead changes. A 5-0 run for Lourdes tied things at seven and ended with an 8-7 advantage for the Gray Wolves. The teams would trade points and a few leads up to a 15-15 tie game. The Saints would hold a 16-15 advantage before Lourdes used a 4-0 run to take a 19-16 lead. Siena would rally to even things at 22 and then take a 23-22 lead. The Gray Wolves would use a 3-0 run to end the set and the match with a 25-23 victory in the third.
• Emmanuel Chaidez added seven a match-high seven blocks, an assist and a dig to his team-leading seven kills.
• Keegan Crawford paced the Saint attack with 22 assists.
• Evan Cashen finished with 10 digs to lead the Siena defense.
• Jeff Lam led Lourdes with 14 kills and 10 digs for a double-double.
• Evan Gebert (13) and Ricardo Gehrke (11) each tallied double-digit kills. Gehrke also had 10 digs to complete a double-double.
• Henrique Gehrke finished with 39 assists and 11 digs for a double-double of his own.
The Saints will travel to face Cincinnati Christian on Friday, March 1. The match is scheduled for a 7:00 p.m. start.