SOUTHFIELD, Mich. -- The Siena Heights men's volleyball team defeated Lawrence Tech 3-1 in Wolverine-Hoosier Athletic Conference (WHAC) play. Evan Cashen (St. Joseph, Mich.) led the Saints with 17 kills in the win.
Final Score: Siena Heights 3, Lawrence Tech 1 (25-16, 25-10, 20-25, 25-21)
Location: Southfield, Michigan (Don Ridler Fieldhouse)
Records: Siena Heights (4-6, 1-1 WHAC), Lawrence Tech (1-5, 0-2 WHAC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
The Saints used a 6-0 run to take an 8-3 lead in the opening set. Siena Heights eventually built a 21-11 lead before jumping out to a 1-0 lead with a 25-16 win.
An 11-2 start for SHU propelled them to a 25-10 win in set two. The Saints hit a match-high .464 while holding Lawrence Tech to zero in the team hitting percentage column.
The Blue Devils hopped out to a 3-1 lead to start the third set. Siena Heights tied the score four times, but LTU preserved a lead on the way to a 25-20 decision to crack the scoreboard 2-1.
The Saints gained a 12-8 lead but the Blue Devils tied things at 12 with 4-0 run. Siena Heights responded with a 5-0 lead to take a 20-17 lead before closing out the match with a 25-21 victory.
• Cashen finished with a .342 hitting percentage. He was one dig short of a double-double and also registered two blocks.
• Bryce Johnson (Pickerington, Ohio) finished with 14 kills, two service aces, and five digs.
• Keegan Crawford (Columbus, Ohio) paced the SHU attack with 47 assists. He also registered three kills, five digs, two blocks, and one service ace.
• Emilier De Jesus (Chesterton, Ind.) had a match-high 19 digs while also recording a service ace.
• Patrick Newell had a team-high 11 kills. He also recorded seven digs.
• Austin Cinci finished with 10 kills.
• Jake Rajewski led the team on defense with 12 digs.
The Saints travel down to Thomas More to compete in the Mid-South Conference Invitational on Friday and Saturday, January 31 and February 1. Siena will face Cumberland (Tenn.) on day one at 6:30 p.m., EST.