CINCINNATI -- The Siena Heights softball team split with Cincinnati Christian in a non-conference road doubleheader on Tuesday evening. Lily Guerra led the Saints with a hit in each game as well as five RBIs in game two to lead SHU to the 10-1 victory.
Final Scores: Game 1: Cincinnati Christian 3, Siena Heights 1 / Game 2: Siena Heights 10, Cincinnati Christian 1 (6-innings)
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio (Freedom Stadium)
Records: Siena Heights (29-11), Cincinnati Christian (18-17)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Game 1: Cincinnati Christian def. Siena Heights, 3-1
The Eagles scored the first run in the 4th-inning of game one to take a 1-0 lead. An RBI single brought the run home to give Cincinnati Christian the advantage.
A Siena Heights error gave the Eagles a 2-1 lead in the bottom half of the 5th-inning. The final run of the game also came off an error by the Saints that extended the deficit to two runs in the 6th-inning.
Game 2: Siena Heights def. Cincinnati Christian, 10-1 (5-innings)
The Saints exploded in the 2nd-inning with five runs to take a 6-0 lead. Hill got things started with a single that scored Mowery. Guerra singled on the next play to bring Kristi Carlson and Hill home for the 4-0 advantage. A double by Helmink scored Guerra for another run. Kelsey Uhl reached first on an error by Cincinnati Christian, scoring Helmink for the final run of the inning.
Guerra hit a triple in the 3rd-inning that scored Hayley Turk, Carlson, and Mowery to push the Saint lead to 9-0. Another double by Helmink brought Guerra home and put SHU on top 10-0.
The Eagles scored on a double-play attempt that only got one runner out to put things at 10-1, the eventual final score.
• Guerra was the only Saint to record a hit in the opening game of the day. She was 2-2 in game two with two runs and five RBIs to contribute to the win.
• Helmink went 3-4 in the nightcap. She crossed the plate once and brought three others home.
• Mowery registered three hits in game two. She scored two runs in the game.
• Carlson (2-3) and Hill (2-3) each finished with two hits. They both reached home plate twice while Hill had an RBI.
• Racquel Ward (L, 15-5) received the loss in game one after 6.0 innings pitched. She allowed five hits and only one earned run while striking out three batters.
• Uhl (W, 11-6) allowed seven hits and one earned one while striking out a batter to gain her 11th win of the season.
• Aleesha Rodriguez recorded the only RBI in the game-one win.
• Mickalya Barga and Brianna Howard led Cincinnati Christian with two hits.
• Dawn Scribben had the lone RBI of game two.
• Jessi Tinsley finished game one with 12 strikeouts while allowing one hit after 7.0 innings pitched.
• Mackenzy Meyer was given the loss in game two. She pitched 1.1 innings and gave up eight hits and five earned runs.
• Tiffany Price pitched 2.2 innings in relief. She allowed six hits and four earned runs while striking out three batters.
The Saints travel to face Lawrence Tech on the road in a Wolverine-Hoosier Athletic Conference (WHAC) doubleheader that starts at 3:30 p.m.