KISSIMMEE, Fla. -- The Siena Heights softball team split the games on day two of the Florida trip. The Saints began the day with a 7-6 loss to Florida National before picking up a 2-1 win over Briar Cliff. Kristi Carlson (Macomb, Mich.) again led the Saints at the plate going 4-for-7 for the day.
Final Score: Game 1: FNU 7, SHU 6 / Game 2: SHU 2, BCU 1
Location: Kissimmee, Florida
HOW IT HAPPENED
Game 1: FNU def. SHU, 7-6
Following a line out for the out number one, Carlson got on base with her first triple of the season. Kelsey Uhl (Toledo, Ohio) hit an RBI single two batters later to score Carlson and give the Saints a 1-0 lead. Two errors by the Saints in the bottom half of the 1st-inning put a runner on base and eventually scored them to tie things at 1-1.
The Conquistadors took advantage of two more errors to score the go-ahead run in the 2nd-inning. They added to the lead in the 3rd-inning with four more runs. The first one came off another error by SHU. Two more runners crossed the plate off a single and the last one came off a throwing error that put FNU up 6-1.
The Saints scored two runs in the 4th-inning to cut the deficit in half. Hayley Turk (Clinton, Mich.) singled to bring Jordan Bianchi (Shelby Twp., Mich.) home. Taylor Mowery (Fenton, Mich.) singled to score Tori Harding (Hastings, Mich.) on the next at-bat. Siena added two more runs at the top of the 5th-inning, the first came on a double steal. The second run was an RBI single by Uhl that allowed Lily Guerra (Rockford, Mich.) to cross home plate.
An RBI single in the bottom of the 5th-inning pushed the Conquistador's lead to two runs (7-5). The final run came in the 6th-inning when Carlson doubled to bring Turk home.
• Carlson was 3-for-4 and scored two runs while also tallying an RBI.
• Bianchi was 2-for-4 and a run.
• Uhl (L, 0-2) pitched six innings and allowed 11 hits and seven runs, only one of which was earned. She also struck out three batters.
• Madison Bradshaw led FNU with three hits out of four at-bats. She also scored twice and had two RBIs.
• Natasha Trujillo got the win in the circle with four innings pitched. She gave up 10 hits, five runs, and struck out three.
Game 2: SHU def. Briar Cliff, 2-1
Briar Cliff got on the board with a home run in the 4th-inning. Turk hit an RBI single to score Haley Rose (Napoleon, Ohio) in the bottom half of the fourth to tie the game at one run. Rose hit a game-winning home run in the 6th-inning to give the Saints their first win of the season.
• Rose was 2-for-3 from the plate. She scored both runs for the Saints in the game.
• Hill, Carlson, Bianchi, and Turk each registered a hit.
• Kiley Elbaor (Highland, Ind.) picked up the win pitching after seven innings of work. She allowed two hits, a run, and had two strikeouts for her first win of the season.
• Williams had the only hit for Briar Cliff.
• Shiley was credited for the loss in the circle. She pitched 5.1 innings, gave up six hits, two runs, and a home run. She struck out two batters.
Siena faces Trinity International tomorrow (March 2) at 2:45 p.m., and (RV) Bellevue at 5:00 p.m., EST.