KISSIMMEE, FLA. -- The Siena Heights softball team added two wins on the final day in Florida. The Saints started the day with an 11-3 win over Saint Francis (Ind.) in six innings before a 4-0 win over Hannibal-LaGrange. Hayley Turk (Clinton, Mich.) led the Saints at the plate going 5-for-7 with three RBIs.
Final Scores: Game 1: SHU def. USF (Ind.), 11-3 (6-innings) / Game 2: SHU def. Hannibal-LaGrange, 4-0
Location: Kissimmee, Florida
Record: SHU (6-6)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Game 1: SHU def. USF (Ind.), 11-3 (6-innings)
The Saints hopped out to a 9-0 lead in the first two innings of the game. Haley Rose (Napoleon, Ohio) got things started in the first when she was walked with the bases loaded to score Sam Hill (Willis, Mich.) for the 1-0 lead. A wild pitch brought Kristi Carlson (Macomb, Mich.) home and Turk finished off the scoring in the 1st-inning with a two-RBI single.
The Cougars cut the Saint lead to 9-3 in the bottom of the 4th-inning. All three runs came off errors by Siena Heights.
Turk singled in the top of the 6th-inning to bring Rose home while Lily Guerra (Rockford, Mich.) advanced to the plate due to an error for the final run of the contest.
• Turk went 3-for-4 with three RBIs in game one.
• Bianchi (2-for-3) and Sam Spicer (Monroe, Mich.) (2-for-4) each had two runs. Bianchi crossed the plate twice and also totaled two RBIs; Spicer scored two runs.
• Uhl (W, 2-4) earned the win in the circle, pitching six innings while giving up five hits, three runs, and six strikeouts.
• Five Cougars recorded a hit. Elandra Shafer registered the team's only RBI.
• Lexy Sanders received the loss with six innings pitched. She gave up 12 hits, 11 runs, a home run, and struck out three.
Game 2: SHU def. Hannibal-LaGrange, 4-0
Siena Heights scored all four runs in the bottom of the 2nd-inning. Kiley Elbaor () reached first on an error that scored Turk and Guerra to give SHU a 2-0 lead. Carlson tripled to register two RBIs to double the Saint advantage.
• Elbaor (W, 3-1) pitched seven innings, allowing only four hits while striking out seven batters.
• Turk was the only Saint hitter to tally multiple hits as she went 2-for-3 at the plate.
• Four hitters recorded a hit for the Trojans.
• Valeria Smith pitched all six innings for Hannibal-LaGrange. She allowed seven hits, four runs, and struck out two Saint batters.
Siena Heights returns home for a week before heading back out on the road for a doubleheader against Roosevelt (Ill.) on Saturday, March 14. The games are scheduled to begin at 2:00 p.m., EST.