ADRIAN, Mich. -- The Siena Heights women's basketball was crowned the 2018 Siena Heights University Thanksgiving Tournament Champions after an 80-75 overtime win against Saint. Xavier (Ill.) in the final game of the tournament. All-Tournament selection Sharmaine Wills led the Saints with her second double-double of the weekend with 18 points and 12 rebounds.
Final Score: Siena Heights 80, Saint Xavier (Ill.) 75 (F/OT)
Location: Adrian, Michigan (SHU Fieldhouse)
Records: Siena Heights (6-2), Saint Xavier (3-3)
HOW IT HAPPENED
The Saints started the game hot as all-tournament members Alyssa Larson and Wills led the team with six and five points in the opening 10 minutes of play to give SHU a 15-10 advantage at the end of the quarter. The Saints used a 10-1 run during the period to give them their largest lead of the game (12-5) with 3:19 left in the first.
The Cougars would respond with a 12-2 run in the second quarter that gave them their largest lead (30-21) with 2:21 left to play in the half. All-Tournament selection Gabby Kreykes and Meg Knutson led St. Xavier in the quarter with five points each. The Cougars outscored SHU 22-12 in the second to give SXU a 32-27 lead when the teams entered the locker room at the half.
The Saints held a 23-16 advantage in scoring for the third quarter to hold a slim 50-48 lead heading into the final quarter of regulation. All-Tournament member Peyton Banks erupted in the third, scoring seven of her 16 points in the third stanza.
With 18 seconds remaining in regulation, the Cougars had a 68-65 lead before Banks hit a layup through contact and was given the and-one to tie the game with just seven ticks left on the clock to force an overtime period.
Wills hit a layup to give SHU a 70-68 lead to start the overtime period. All-Tournament choice Chantel Fanter hit two free throws to tie the game back up at 70 before Maddie Welter gave the Cougars their first lead of overtime after hitting a three-point jumper. Kiana Votava cut the deficit to one point with a layup before Larson regained the lead for Siena with back-to-back layups that put the score at 76-73 with just 59 seconds remaining. The Saints would keep the lead for the remainder of the period to earn the victory.
• Wills tallied seven offensive and five defensive rebounds in the game to go along with her 7-12 shooting from the floor.
• Banks finished with 16 points and four rebounds to help lead the Saints.
• Larson registered 13 points on 5-7 shooting from the floor.
• Kiana Votava scored 12 points on 5-8 shooting, one rebound, and an assist in the win.
• Demi Russell also recorded double-digit points with 10 along with six rebounds.
• Welter and Fanter each led the Cougars with 17 points. Welter was 6-14 from the floor and 5-11 from three. Fanter finished 5-14 in field goals and 2-6 from beyond the arc. She also hauled in eight rebounds.
• Kreykes scored 16 points and pulled down eight boards.
Sharmaine Wills, Siena Heights
Gabby Kreykes, Saint Xavier (Ill.)
Peyton Banks, Siena Heights
Chanel Fanter, Saint Xavier (Ill.)
Alyssa Larson, Siena Heights
The Saints will remain home to host Concordia (Mich.) on Wednesday, November 28. The game is scheduled to tip-off at 6:00 p.m.