ADRIAN, Mich. -- The Siena Heights women's basketball team extended its winning streak to seven after a 73-48 blowout win over Lourdes in Wolverine-Hoosier Athletic Conference (WHAC) action at the SHU Fieldhouse on Wednesday night. Demi Russell was a force in the paint for the Saints as she led the team with 19 points.
Final Score: Siena Heights 73, Lourdes 48
Location: Adrian, Michigan (SHU Fieldhouse)
Records: Siena Heights (9-2, 5-2 WHAC), Lourdes (5-6, 2-3 WHAC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
The Saints started the opening two minutes of the game hot with a 9-0 run. Demi Russell was the catalyst as she scored seven of the nine points in the run. Lourdes responded with an 8-0 run late in the quarter that cut the SHU lead to two (13-11) with just over a minute left on the clock. The teams traded baskets in the final minute as the Saints took a 15-13 lead into the second.
A layup by Ra'Zhane Newberry tied the game and sparked a 5-0 run for the Gray Wolves that gave them their first lead of the game (18-15) with 8:41 remaining before halftime. The Saints responded with a 6-0 run that was sparked by a made layup by Alyssa Larson that put Siena back on top 21-18 with 6:34 remaining in the half. The Saints ended the half on a 13-1 run to hold a 34-26 lead at the half.
SHU had runs of 6-0 and 5-0 in the third to extend the lead to 55-35 with just under two and a half minutes in the quarter.
The Saints began the fourth quarter with a 5-0 run to build upon the lead (63-37). Lourdes responded with a 6-0 run to cut the deficit to 22 points. SHU tallied a 6-0 run in response to increase the lead before the Gray Wolves went on a 5-0 run late in the fourth quarter to put the score a 71-48 Saints.
Siena shot 43.3% from the floor as a team. The Saints only made two three-point jumpers in the game but was 19-22 from the free throw line. Lourdes finished 27.8% in field goals, 21.7% from three, and 56.5% from the charity stripe.
• Russell finished 6-9 from the floor and 7-9 from the free throw line to lead the Saints.
• Larson totaled 18 points and nine rebounds in her first start of the season. She shot 8-14 in field goals and made both of her free throw attempts.
• Anaya Powell led the Saint defense with three steals in the game. She also contributed three points and eight rebounds.
• Haley Hoffman had a team-high four assists while scoring five points.
• Jami Hardy led the Gray Wolves with 11 points on 4-13 shooting. She was 2-9 from three and 1-2 from the free throw line.
• Christiana Jefferson tallied 10 points on 3-5 shooting to go along with two rebounds and two assists.
• Keyvona Davis led the team with five rebounds.
The Saints host Madonna on Saturday, December 8. The team will play the second game in a doubleheader. The game is scheduled for 5:00 p.m., but will tip off approximately 30 minutes after the conclusion of the men's game scheduled at 3:00 p.m.