ADRIAN, Mich. -- The Siena Heights women's basketball team shot 33 free throws, making 25 of them, in a 64-37 win over Madonna in the SHU Fieldhouse on Saturday evening. Demi Russell was the lone Saint with double-digit points with 17 in the win.
Final Score: Siena Heights 64, Madonna 37
Location: Adrian, Michigan (SHU Fieldhouse)
Records: Siena Heights (10-2, 6-2 WHAC), Madonna (0-11, 0-6 WHAC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Neither team shot well to open the game. The Saints were 3-15 (20%) from the floor while the Crusaders were 3-12 (25%). Siena scored 14 of its 20 first-quarter points from the line to take a 20-7 lead into the second quarter.
Siena tallied only 12 points in the second half on 2-5 (40%) shooting. Madonna doubled its first-quarter output of seven points to put the score at 32-14 at the half.
The Saints outscored the Crusaders 16-12 in the third quarter to extend their lead to 22 points (48-26).
SHU tallied another 16 points in the fourth while Madonna registered 11. Siena finished the game 18-52 (34.6%) from the floor, 3-15 from beyond the arc, and 25-33 from the charity stripe. The Crusaders were 15-53 in field goals, 0-11 from three, and 7-19 from the free throw line.
• Russell tallied 17 points, 11 of which came from the free throw line. She totaled four rebounds, one steal and a block in the game.
• Jayshonna Blackshire tallied eight points, two steals, and two rebounds.
• Peyton Banks also scored eight points. She also added six rebounds to her stat line.
• Alyssa Larson led the team with seven rebounds in the victory.
• Hannah Reinhold led the Crusaders with 10 points in the losing effort.
• Sheldon Bochenek tallied seven points and four rebounds.
The Saints return to action next Sunday, December 16 when they face Waldorf (Iowa) on day one of the Cruzin Classic Tournament. The game is set for a tip-off of 6:00 p.m.