FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. -- The Siena Heights women's basketball team had its eight-game winning streak snapped in a 72-58 loss to Waldorf in the team's first game at the Cruzin Classic in Fort Lauderdale, Florida on Sunday evening. Demi Russell led the Saints with 19 points in the losing effort.
Final Score: Waldorf 72, Siena Heights 58
Location: Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Records: Waldorf (5-5), Siena Heights (10-3)
HOW IT HAPPENED
The Saints held a 17-16 lead at the conclusion of a very closely contested first quarter. Waldorf used a 9-0 run in the second quarter to take a 30-21 lead with just over four minutes remaining before the half. The Warriors had the lead at the half (36-27).
A 7-0 run for Waldorf pushed the lead to 15 points with just 2:43 left in the third. Siena trailed 52-41 with just one quarter left in regulation.
The Warriors finished a 9-0 run with 10 seconds left on the clock to achieve the final score of the game.
• Russell shot 7-15 from the floor and a perfect 5-5 from the free throw line to lead the Saints in points for the game. She was also the team's leading rebounder with eight.
• Addyson Tomczak tallied nine points, two rebounds, and dished two assists in the losing effort.
• Alyssa Larson finished with eight points and six rebounds.
• Sharmaine Wills scored eight points and pulled down five rebounds.
• Michaela Graffunder and Taylor Fricke finished with 17 points. Graffunder led the team with teammate Ameh Ogbemudia with seven rebounds. Graffunder also led the team with five assists.
• Morgan Straight and Marisela Perez each registered 11 points.
The Saints face Briar Cliff tomorrow morning at 10:00 a.m. to finish off their time at the Cruzin Classic.