ADRIAN, Mich. -- The Siena Heights women's basketball team won its final game of 2018 with a 60-57 win over visiting Governors State on Sunday afternoon at the SHU Fieldhouse. Demi Russell led the Saints with 19 points and nine rebounds in the win.
Final Score: Siena Heights 60, Governors State 57
Location: Adrian, Michigan (SHU Fieldhouse)
Records: Siena Heights (12-4), Governors State (9-6)
HOW IT HAPPENED
The score remained close throughout the first quarter. Russell scored eight points in the opening 10 minutes to give the Saints a 15-13 edge when the clock hit zeros in the period.
Governors State cut the SHU lead to one point with a 5-0 run to put the score at 19-18 with 6:12 left in the first half. Siena finished the second quarter outscoring the Jaguars 6-2 to hold a 30-25 advantage as the teams entered the locker room for halftime.
A 7-0 run in the opening five minutes of the third gave the Saints a 39-29 lead with 5:11 remaining in the third stanza. Governors State responded with a 7-0 run of its own to put the deficit to three points (39-36) with just under four minutes left in the third period. The quarter would end with the same margin in favor of the Saints (45-42).
The Jaguars used back-to-back baskets to take a 46-45 lead in the opening two minutes of the final quarter. Kiana Votava hit a layup that gave SHU a 47-46 lead and sparked a 6-0 run that built a five-point advantage for Siena. Ariana Dampier hit a layup and got the and-one to tie the score at 55 with 1:13 remaining in regulation. Votava hit a free throw and Sharmaine Wills tallied a layup to give SHU a 58-55 lead with under 30 seconds left on the clock. A jumper by the Jaguars cut the Saint lead to one, but Russell hit two free throws in the final 10 seconds to seal the win for the Saints.
• Russell shot 8-15 from the floor and 3-6 from the free throw line to lead the team.
• Votava finished with 10 points on 4-7 shooting while hauling in a rebound and a steal.
• Wills scored nine points, four rebounds, two assists, and a steal in the win.
• Alyssa Larson pulled down seven boards while scoring eight points.
• Amber Brooks tallied 17 points and had a game-high 16 rebounds in the losing effort.
• Tyisha Worthy led the Jaguars with 21 points.
• Ariana Dampier finished with nine points and six rebounds.
The Saints travel to Kokomo, Indiana to face Indiana University-Kokomo on Wednesday, January 2, at 5:30 p.m.