KOKOMO, Ind. -- The Siena Heights women's basketball team started 2019 with a 78-71 non-conference road win over Indiana University-Kokomo on Wednesday evening. Kiana Votava led the Saints with 19 points.
Final Score: Siena Heights 78, IU-Kokomo 71
Location: Kokomo, Ind.
Records: Siena Heights (13-4), IU-Kokomo (8-6)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Siena never trailed in the win over the Cougars. The Saints tallied 16 points off turnovers, 36 points in the paint, and the bench outscored the IU-Kokomo bench 22-16.
The largest lead of the game was 15 points which took place with 6:26 remaining in the fourth quarter.
The Saints came out hot and stayed that way through much of the game as they finished with a team shooting percentage of 50.
Demi Russell had a huge third quarter for Siena as she scored 11 of her 15 points in the quarter. Votava followed her lead and tallied 11 of her nine points in the final quarter to seal the game for SHU.
• Votava shot 5-9 in the game while totaling four rebounds.
• Russell was 7-9 from the floor and tallied five rebounds.
• Alyssa Larson was the final Saint in double figures with 12 points to go along with five rebounds off the bench.
• Tia Chambers led the home team with 24 points in the losing effort. She was also the team's leading rebounder with eight.
• Kaitlyn Howe tallied 17 points for the Cougars while pulling down seven boards.
The Saints will continue conference play on Saturday, January 5 when they host Rochester. The game is scheduled to tip-off at 5:30 PM.