ADRIAN, Mich. -- The Siena Heights women's basketball team dropped its second Wolverine-Hoosier Athletic Conference (WHAC) after a 63-55 setback against Aquinas on Saturday afternoon. Alyssa Larson led the home Saints with 16 points and 10 rebounds off the bench.
Final Score: Aquinas 63, Siena Heights 55
Location: Adrian, Michigan (SHU Fieldhouse)
Records: Aquinas (18-6, 11-3 WHAC), Siena Heights (17-7, 10-5 WHAC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Aquinas began the game with a 5-0 run before jumping out to a 7-2 lead with less than five minutes remaining in the opening quarter. Siena scored six straight to gain its first lead (8-7) with 2:56 left in the first. Aquinas responded with an 8-0 run that lasted until Jayshonna Blackshire hit a layup with six seconds left to put the score at 15-10.
After a completed and-one by Sharmaine Wills put SHU down only two points (15-13), Bri Spica hit a three-point jumper for Aquinas that sparked a 10-0 run and built a 14 point lead for the visitor. Patriellia Whittington hit a layup and Kiana Votava followed with a three to cut the Aquinas advantage to nine points (32-23) with 4:13 left in the half. The visiting Saints would regain a double-digit lead at the end of the half with a three-pointer jumper by Carley Andrews put that score at 37-27 as the teams went into the locker room.
Siena cut the deficit to five points after a 7-0 run that was started by a three-pointer by Peyton Banks and finished with a jumper by Anaya Powell. Demi Russell tallied a layup with 30 seconds left in the quarter to put the score at 47-42, Aquinas.
Two free throws from Larson and one from Whittington to start the fourth quarter had the home Saints looking at a one-possession game with 8:20 left in regulation. Aquinas would respond with a 6-0 run to increase the lead to eight (55-47) with just 3:24 left before the horn. Larson hit two free throws to put the score at 59-53 Aquinas with 32 seconds left, but the host Saints ran out of time before they could complete the rally.
• Larson tallied her second consecutive double-double and third of the season. She was 5-9 from the floor and a perfect 6-6 from the free-throw line.
• Peyton Banks tallied 10 points on 3-5 shooting off the bench. She also tallied three rebounds and a steal.
• Votava finished with seven points, three rebounds, a team-high two assists, and two steals along with one block.
• Sharmaine Wills registered seven points on 3-4 shooting along with three rebounds.
• Hannah Brefeld led Aquinas with 20 points and nine rebounds.
• Michaela Faber tallied 16 points while Keeley Hinton scored 10.
The Saints will look to bounce back this Wednesday, January 30 when they travel to face Lourdes in conference play. The game is scheduled to tip at 6:00 p.m.