ROCHESTER, Mich. -- The Siena Heights women's basketball team earned a big Wolverine-Hoosier Athletic Conference (WHAC) win on the road against Rochester, 63-51, on Saturday afternoon. Sharmaine Wills tied a season-high 18 points to lead the Saints to the win.
Final Score: Siena Heights 63, Rochester 51
Location: Rochester, Michigan (Garth Pleasant Arena)
Records: (20) Siena Heights (18-7, 11-5), (RV) Rochester (16-10, 10-6)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Wills was 3-4 from the floor in the first quarter to lead all scorers with six points in the first quarter. As a team, Siena shot 4-10 in the opening 10 minutes while Rochester struggled from the floor (3-13).
The Saints tacked on 18 more points in the second quarter to take a 29-24 lead into the locker room at halftime. Siena increased its field goal percentage to 50% (7-14) at the intermission.
The lead continued to grow in the third as the Saints outscored the Warriors by nine points, the largest scoring margin in any quarter, to put the score at 47-33.
Rochester outscored the Siena Heights in the final quarter 18-16, but the Saint lead was too much for the Warriors to overcome before the end of regulation.
• Wills finished the game 9-13 from the floor. She was a force in the rebounding category as well, hauling in a game-high eight rebounds.
• Alyssa Larson was 3-4 in field goals and 8-10 from the free throw line to total 14 points off the bench for Siena. She also pulled down six boards.
• Kiana Votava was the last Saint with double-digit points as she scored 13. She added four rebounds and two assists to her stat line.
• Devan Valko led the Warriors with 18 points and six rebounds.
• Kendra Kujat dished six assists and Rikki Scherdt pulled down five boards.
The Saints will travel to face Lourdes on Monday, February 4 in a game that was originally scheduled on January 30 but was moved due to weather. The game will tip off at 6:00 p.m.