ADRIAN, Mich. -- The Siena Heights women's basketball team cruised to a 96-25 win over Great Lakes Christian in the team's season-opening home game on Saturday evening. Peyton Banks (Wadsworth, Ohio) led the Saints with 16 points on 7-9 shooting from the field.
Final Score: Siena Heights 96, Great Lakes Christian 25
Location: Adrian, Michigan (SHU Fieldhouse)
Records: Siena Heights (1-0), Great Lakes Christian (0-4)
HOW IT HAPPENED
The Saints started with a 16-0 run and never looked back for the remainder of the game. Siena gave up only five points in the first three quarters as they held a 73-15 lead going into the final quarter. The Crusaders scored 10 points in the final quarter but the decision had long been determined.
The Saints finished 37-74 (50%) from the floor, 7-25 (28%) from three, and 15-21 (71.4%) from the free-throw line. They won the turnover battle 15-38 and totaled 22 steals as a team. They outscored GLC 52-10 in the paint, 39-3 in points off turnovers, 20-5 in second-chance points, and 19-7 in the fast break. The SHU bench totaled 55 points while the Crusader reserves only scored two points.
• Banks added four rebounds to her team-leading stat line.
• Kelsey Wyman (Blissfield, Mich.) finished with 13 points. She was 2-3 from beyond the arc and also had a rebound and an assist.
• Mary Ware (Detroit, Mich.) led the Saints with seven rebounds.
• Addyson Tomczak (Bay City, Mich.) had a game-high six assists. She hauled in two rebounds and scored three points in the game.
• Mystic Striker and Tilly Guild led the Crusaders with seven points.
• Valerie Kopper had a team-high two assists and two steals.
• Guild was the team's leading rebounder with seven.
The Saints will host West Virginia Tech next Sunday, November 10 at 2:00 p.m., EST.