ADRIAN, Mich. -- The Siena Heights women's basketball team defeated Cornerstone 71-56 in Wolverine-Hoosier Athletic Conference (WHAC) action to stay perfect on the year with a 5-0 start overall and a 3-0 mark in league play. Demi Russell (Toledo, Ohio) led the Saints with 15 points on a night when Siena showed a balanced attack with five Saints scoring double-digit points in the win.
Final Score: Siena Heights 71, Cornerstone 56
Location: Adrian, Michigan (SHU Fieldhouse)
Records: Siena Heights (5-0, 3-0 WHAC), Cornerstone (1-9, 0-2 WHAC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Cornerstone shot 50% from the floor in the first quarter to keep the score close at the end of the first quarter, 14-13. Rebekah Crosby tallied seven points to lead the Golden Eagles in the first while Russell led the Saints with six points in the quarter.
SHU used two 6-0 runs in the second quarter to pull ahead 28-18 with just over three minutes left before the half. Peyton Banks (Wadsworth, Ohio) hit a layup in the final 30 seconds of the first half to give the Saints a 38-26 cushion as the teams entered the locker room.
A three-point jumper in the opening five minutes of the third cut the Siena lead to single-digits (42-33), but another 6-0 run was sparked by a Kelsey Wyman (Blissfield, Mich.) layup and the Saints were back up by double-digits, 48-33, with 1:04 left in the third.
Siena Heights maintained the lead throughout the final quarter on the way to the win.
• Russell tallied her team-high 15 points on 6-11 shooting from the floor. She also recorded four rebounds, an assist, a steal, and a block.
• Anaya Powell (Grand Rapids, Mich.) led the team with six assists while also scoring 12 points, six rebounds, and a steal.
• Addyson Tomczak (Bay City, Mich.) finished with 12 points, two rebounds, and an assist. She also led the team with three steals.
• Wyman was the fourth Saint with double-digit points, scoring 12 off the bench.
• Banks scored 10 points and hauled in a game-high eight rebounds. She also dished four assists and had two steals.
• Shelby Nyboer led the Golden Eagles with 18 points and seven rebounds.
• Rebekah Crosby finished with 13 points and five rebounds as well as a team-high two steals and two blocks.
• Katrina Goebel and Broghan Gamble tied for a team-high three assists.
The Saints travel to face Madonna on the road in a WHAC game this Saturday, November 23 at 1:00 p.m., EST.