ADRIAN, Mich. -- The No. 22 Siena Heights women's basketball team cruised to an 84-69 win over Carlow (Pa.) in the final game of day one of the SHU Thanksgiving Classic. The Saints finished with 48.4% shooting from the floor in the win. Peyton Banks (Wadsworth, Ohio) led Siena with 23 points and seven rebounds.
Final Score: Siena Heights 84, Carlow 69
Location: Adrian, Michigan (SHU Fieldhouse)
Records: Siena Heights 7-1, Carlow 4-5
HOW IT HAPPENED
The Saints started the game on 14-2 run in the opening 5:10 of the first quarter. The Celtics cut the lead to 11, 20-9, at the end of the first quarter. Banks gave Carlow fits in the opening 10 minutes as she scored nine points on 2-3 shooting from the floor and a perfect 1-1 from three and 4-4 from the free-throw line.
Siena continued to build upon the lead eventually holding a 44-23 advantage after a jumper fell from Addyson Tomczak (Bay City, Mich.) with just two ticks remaining on the clock in the half.
The Saints never trailed in the contest and outscored the Celtics in points in the paint (38-24), points off turnovers (18-14), fastbreak points (10-7), and bench points (27-6). The largest lead of the game came at the 9:51 mark of the fourth quarter when Siena was up by 30 points.
• Banks finished 7-11 from the floor, 2-3 from beyond the arc, and 7-8 from the charity stripe. She also tied for a team-high two blocks.
• Demi Russell (Toledo, Ohio) scored 15 points on 6-11 shooting. She hit her only three-point jumper and was 2-4 from the line. She hauled in seven rebounds, an assist, and a steal.
• Anaya Powell (Grand Rapids, Mich.) led the team with five assists.
• Kelsey Wyman (Blissfield, Mich.) continues to contribute off the bench as she shot 5-8 from the floor and 2-4 from three to a total of 12 points.
• Kamryn Lach led the Celtics with 19 points on 6-11 shooting.
• Emma Stille was the leading rebounder with 19 and blocks with three.
• Delaney Daly and Angelica Orozco each scored double-digit points with 17 and 12 respectively.
The Saints will end the SHU Thanksgiving Classic in a 4:00 p.m., EST game against St. Thomas (Fla.) tomorrow, December 1, 2019.