SYLVANIA, Ohio -- The No. 19 Siena Heights women's basketball team used an 18-2 run in the third quarter to pull away from Lourdes on the way to a 63-49 win in Sylvania, Ohio on Saturday afternoon. Demi Russell (Toledo, Ohio) led the Saints with 15 points in the win.
Final Score: Siena Heights 63, Lourdes 49
Location: Sylvania, Ohio (Russell J. Ebeid Recreation Center)
Records: Siena Heights (11-1, 7-0 WHAC), Lourdes (3-10, 2-6 WHAC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
The Gray Wolves used a 10-1 run in the opening four minutes of the first quarter. Lourdes shot 7-17 from the floor and 5-13 from three as they would hold a 21-11 lead at the conclusion of the first.
The Saints would rally in the second quarter as a 9-0 run capped by a three-point jumper by Patriellia Whittington (Grand Rapids, Mich.) brought Siena within three-points of tying the score, 23-20, with 4:49 left in the half. A 5-0 run by the home team would increase the lead up to eight points, 28-20, with 3:19 left to play in the half. Kelsey Wyman (Blissfield, Mich.) hit a free throw in the final seconds to cut the lead to seven, 30-23, as the teams entered the locker room at the intermission.
Siena Heights used an 18-2 run that took up 4:16 of time in the third quarter that gave the Saints their first lead, 43-34. SHU shot 6-9 from the floor during the run and remained in control for the remainder of the third quarter to take a 46-38 lead into the final quarter of regulation.
Wyman hit a layup in the opening minute of the fourth to give the Saints their first double-digit lead, 48-38, but a 7-0 run by the Gray Wolves would cut the SHU lead to three points (48-45). Siena then went on a 7-0 run to regain a double-digit advantage, 55-45, with 6:23 left to play. The Saints stayed in command for the remainder of the fourth to hold on for the win.
• Russell shot 4-11 from the floor to lead the team in points. She also hauled in six rebounds.
• Addyson Tomczak (Bay City, Mich.) scored 14 points on 5-14 shooting. She finished with three rebounds, an assist, and three steals.
• Peyton Banks (Wadsworth, Ohio) scored 12 points while leading the team with three assists and tying for a team-high three steals.
• Sara Semler and Mirandia Green led the Gray Wolves with 12 points. Semler was also the leading playmaker with five assists.
• Sirena Pitts led the team with six rebounds.
The Saints travel to face Roosevelt (Ill.) on Friday, December 20, 2019, in the opening day of the Roosevelt Tournament. Tip-off is scheduled for 6:00 p.m., EST.