CHICAGO -- The 19th-ranked Siena Heights women's basketball team held off Midland (Neb.) 73-68 in the team's second, and final game of the Roosevelt tournament. Kelsey Wyman (Blissfield, Mich.) led the team in scoring for the second consecutive outing with a game-high 25 points.
Final Score: Siena Heights 73, Midland 69
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Records: Siena Heights (13-1), Midland (4-10)
HOW IT HAPPENED
The Saints rattled off the first three points of the game to take a quick 3-0 lead. Back-to-back layups by the Vikings gave them a slim, 4-3 lead but Demi Russell (Toledo, Ohio) hit a layup to regain the lead for Siena Heights and also sparked a 5-0 run to put things at 8-4 with 6:17 left in the first. Another 5-0 run increased the Saint lead to 16-9 with just over 3:30 remaining. Midland (Neb.) rallied to cut the lead to just two points, 19-17, at the end of the first quarter.
The Saints began quarter two with a 6-0 run to go up 26-17 in the opening four minutes of the quarter. Wyman hit a three-point jumper at the 5:25 mark to create the game's first double-digit advantage, 29-19. The Vikings cut the deficit to eight points, 35-27, as the teams went into the locker room.
Midland cut the Saint lead to seven points, 55-48, with just under 1:40 remaining in the third stanza. A 6-0 run by the Vikings cut the advantage to six points, 71-65, with 39 seconds left. Time would expire before the Saints would be caught.
• Wyman was 6-10 from the floor and 3-4 from beyond the Arc to lead the Saints in scoring. She also tallied five rebounds.
• Russell finished with 17 points. She pulled down four boards and blocked three shots while poking away two steals.
• Kiana Votava (Port Huron, Mich.) tallied 13 points on 6-10 shooting. She had six rebounds, three assists, two steals, and a block.
• Peyton Banks (Wadsworth, Ohio) registered a double-double with 10 points and 12 rebounds.
• Makenna Sullivan was a rebound short of a double-double, finishing with 13 points.
• Lexis Haase registered 13 points and three steals.
• Amanda Hansen recorded 11 points while dishing four assists.
The Saints will face Governors State on the road on Tuesday, December 31. Tip-off for that contest is scheduled for 1:00 p.m., EST.