ROCHESTER, Mich. -- The nationally-ranked Siena Heights women's basketball team improved to 10-0 in Wolverine-Hoosier Athletic Conference (WHAC) play after a convincing 83-69 win on the road against Rochester. Peyton Banks (Wadsworth, Ohio) led the Saints with her second 30-point performance of the season.
Final Score: Siena Heights 83, Rochester 69
Location: Rochester, Michigan (Garth Pleasant Arena)
Records: Siena Heights (19-1, 10-0 WHAC), Rochester (6-14, 4-6 WHAC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
The score remained close throughout the first quarter with Rochester tying the score four times. Banks hit a layup with 27 seconds left in the quarter to give Siena a 17-15 lead as the first ended.
The Warriors hit a three to start the second quarter and earn an 18-17 lead. Four-straight points from SHU put the score at 21-18 with 8:15 remaining before the half. A 19-0 run ended the half for Siena as the Saints took a huge 42-20 lead into the locker room at the intermission.
Siena comes out in the third quarter continuing to build upon their lead, pushing it up to 31 points (57-26) with 4:36 left in the quarter.
The lead proved to be too much for the Warriors and the Saints would win their 10th WHAC game of the year as the clock reached zeros to end regulation.
• Banks shot 11-14 from the floor, 5-7 from three, and 3-4 from the free-throw line on the way to her leading point total. She also hauled in eight rebounds to lead the team in that category as well.
• Demi Russell (Toledo, Ohio) scored 20 points while hauling in five rebounds and dishing three assists.
• Anaya Powell (Grand Rapids, Mich.) tied for team-leads in steals with three. She also totaled three assists.
• Addyson Tomczak (Bay City, Mich.) netted eight points and a team-high four assists.
• Brooke Fielder led the Warriors with 17 points.
• Delaney Bolles tallied 13 points and led the team with eight rebounds.
• Lexey Tobel was the last Rochester player with double-digit points with 12.
The Saints host Concordia (Mich.) in a WHAC contest on Saturday, January 18 with a tip-off time of 5:00 p.m., EST.