LIMA, OHIO -- The 14th-ranked Siena Heights women's basketball team fell to Wolverine-Hoosier Athletic Conference (WHAC) opponent Northwestern Ohio 71-69 in Lima, Ohio at Racer Gymnasium on Wednesday night. Kelsey Wyman (Blissfield, Mich.) led the Saints in scoring coming off the bench with a game-high 25 points.
Final Score: UNOH 71, Siena Heights 69
Location: Lima, Ohio (Racer Gymnasium)
Records: UNOH (10-17, 6-11 WHAC), Siena Heights (23-4, 15-3 WHAC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Neither squad was able to pull away in a game that stayed close throughout regulation. The teams went back and forth in the game as the lead changed a total of 10 times and tied five times. The Racers finished the first quarter with a 17-14 advantage while the Saints outscored UNOH 13-10 in the second to put the score at 27-27 as the teams enter the locker room at the half.
Siena Heights got a significant contribution from the bench, outscoring UNOH 38-9, but it wasn't enough to earn the victory. Siena held its largest lead of the game, 40-33, with 6:44 remaining in the third quarter. Northwestern Ohio would rally back and eventually build a 65-59 lead, the Racers largest of the game, with 2:47 remaining in regulation. The Saints won the rebound battle 38-30 while only making nine shots from beyond the arc all game, four of which came from Wyman. The Saint starting five struggled to score as they combined for 31 of the team's total points. Wyman and Allye Minor (Bryan, Ohio) tallied all of the points off the bench (Wyman with 25, Minor with 13).
• Wyman was 9-17 from the floor, 4-11 from three, and 3-4 from the free-throw line. She pulled down two boards, had two assists, and a steal.
• Minor scored 13 points, four assists, and three rebounds off the bench.
• Kiana Votava (Port Huron, Mich.) led the starters with 13 points on 6-9 shooting.
• Peyton Banks (Wadsworth, Ohio) scored eight points and led the team in rebounding with a game-high 11.
• The Racers were led in scoring by Tori Lennartz with 17.
• Tya Bell and Jada Haines each scored 15 points.
• Kimyra McGhee led UNOH with 10 rebounds.
The Saints will remain on the road this Saturday, February 15 with a trip to face Lawrence Tech. Tip-off for that game is scheduled for 1:00 p.m., EST.