ADRIAN, Mich. -- Junior Peyton Banks (Wadsworth, Ohio) finished with 35 points to lead the Siena Heights women's basketball team past Bethel (Ind.), 119=86 in a non-conference game on Saturday afternoon. The win is the 300th in head coach Sue Syljebeck's career at Siena Heights University. She has the most wins in program history for a coach.
Final Score: Siena Heights 119, Bethel (Ind.) 86
Location: Adrian, Michigan (SHU Fieldhouse)
Records: Siena Heights (2-1), Bethel (2-2)
HOW IT HAPPENED
The Saints broke the Pilot press to jump out to a hot 37-1 start and never looked back. SHU outscored Bethel (Ind.) 44-13 in the opening quarter. The Pilots rallied a bit in the second quarter as they scored 22 points, but the deficit was too much and Siena Heights held a commanding 73-35 advantage at the intermission.
The Saints put another 36 points up in the third quarter to increase the lead further. The largest lead in the game happened at the 1:39 mark in the third with Siena Heights up by 61 points. The Saints cleared the benches in the fourth quarter and the Pilots were able to score 36 points, however, SHU never surrendered the lead before the final buzzer.
• Banks finished 12-15 from the floor, 3-3 from three, and 8-8 from the free-throw line. She also dished four assists and hauled in three rebounds during her 20 minutes of play.
• Kelsey Wyman (Jr. | Blissfield, Mich.) tallied 18 points on 7-10 shooting. She led the team in rebounds with seven and tied for the team-high in assists with five.
• Savanah Gibson (Sr. | Birch Run, Mich.) registered 18 points on 5-7 shooting. She was 2-3 from beyond the arc and 6-7 from the charity stripe. Gibson also pulled down four rebounds in the win.
• Sha'kyia Parker (So. | Grand Rapids, Mich.) finished with 17 points after shooting 7-9 from the floor.
• Jessica Erwin led the Pilots in scoring with 14 points.
• Nyla Asad scored 12 for Bethel in the losing effort.
The Saints have just over a week off before they host cross-town rival, Adrian, on Tuesday, November 24. The game is scheduled to tip at 6:00 p.m., EST.