ALBION, Mich. -- The Siena Heights women's lacrosse team fell to Albion on the road, on Wednesday night. Marissa Cirino (Junior, Canton, Mich.) led the Saints as she tallied eight goals.
Final Score: Albion 23, Siena Heights 18
Location: Albion, Michigan (Davis Athletic Complex)
Records: Albion (4-2), Siena Heights (2-2)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Albion got things started as they scored three goals in a row within the first two minutes of the game by Chrstelle Lopez and Addie Pastor. Siena answered as Cirino scored two goals assisted by Natalie Williams (Senior, South Lyon, Mich.) and Tori Tisdwell (Freshman, Tecumseh, Mich.). The Britons scored three more goals in a row by three different players. Cirino and Emily Pringle (Freshman, Soutfield, Mich.) each got goals for the Saints to cut the deficit to two goals. Lopez added two more goals to her stat line increasing the lead to four goals. Siena would go on to score five straight goals, led by three from Cirino and the other two from Jenna Sommerville (Junior, Clarkston, Mich.) and Kristin Delclos (Sophomore, Warrenton, Va.) to take the lead 9-8. Darcy Muns and Kate Mullins each earned a goal for Albion to have a one-goal lead heading into intermission.
The Saints came out hot in the second half as they scored four-straight goals by four different players to take the lead 12-11. The Barons knotted things up as Lopez scored a free position goal. The remainder of the half was neck and neck as neither team lead the other by more than two goals until Siena earned a three goal lead as Delclos netted a free position goal with 15:01 left on the clock. Albion went on to score four goals in a row to regain the lead 18-17, led by three from Lopez. Cirino scored the Saints' final goal to tie the game at the 8:30 mark. The Barons netted five more goals, led by three from Abby Sheklow to give them the 23-18 win.
• Cirino added one assist, a team-high of six groundballs, four drawcontrols, and caused one turnover to her stat-line.
• Williams recorded three goals, one assist, one groundball, and one drawcontrol.
• Sommerville earned three goals.
• Mariah Smythe (L, 0-1) (Junior, Novi, Mich.) made 10 saves between the pipes in the 60 minutes of play.
• Lopez led the Barons with 11 goals, six groundballs, four drawcontorls, and caused one turnover.
• Sheklow tallied five goals, three groundballs and drawcontrols.
• Jenina Villabroza (W, 4-2) made 8 saves in the winning effort.
The Saints have their home opener against Taylor for a Wolverine-Hoosier Athletic Conference (WHAC) contest on Saturday, March 14th. The game is scheduled for to start at 12:00 p.m., EST.