ADRIAN, Mich. -- The Siena Heights women's soccer team gave up a second-half goal to Mount Vernon Nazarene for a 1-0 defeat in the team's home opener. Sophia Lentz (L, 0-1) saved five of the six shots she faced in the losing effort.
Final Score: Mount Vernon Nazarene 1, Siena Heights 0
Location: Adrian, Michigan (O'Laughlin Stadium)
Records: Mount Vernon Nazarene (2-1), Siena Heights (0-1)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Neither team was able to capitalize on its chances in the first half and the score remained a scoreless deadlock at half time. Both teams registered five shots in the first half, but the Saints edged the Cougars 3-2 in shots on goal for the period.
Adison Preston broke the tie after she scored off an assist from Paige Renz to give MVNU the 1-0 lead in the 58th minute of play. Siena Heights tallied two more shots on goal and had one shot go wide right late in the second half. The final push for the Saints came up short and the Cougars held on for the win.
• Macy Llewellyn (La Porte, Ind.) led SHU with three shots, two of which were on goal.
• Lentz (Kalamazoo, Mich.) made her five saves in 90 minutes of play between the pipes for Siena.
• Preston scored on her only shot of the game.
• Renz added a shot on goal and an assist to her stat line.
• Ana Chrysler (W, 1-0) saved all five shots she faced to earn the win in goal.
The Saints travel to face Trinity International (Ill.) this Saturday, August 31. The game is scheduled to kick off at 12:00 p.m., CDT.