ADRIAN, Mich. -- The Siena Heights women's volleyball team fell to No. 19 Madonna in straight sets on the team's Wolverine-Hoosier Athletic Conference (WHAC) home opener on Wednesday night at the SHU Fieldhouse. Setter Carrigan Gray (Bowling Green, Ohio) paced the Saints with 14 assists in the losing effort.
Final Score: Madonna 3, SHU 0 (25-17, 25-14, 25-11)
Location: Adrian, Michigan (SHU Fieldhouse)
Records: Madonna (6-0, 1-0 WHAC), Siena Heights (4-2, 0-1 WHAC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
The opening set was close with both teams trading points up until a four-point run gave Madonna a small 12-9 lead. After two scores by the Saints, the Crusaders tallied a 5-0 run that gave them the largest lead so far in the match, 17-11. The lead would grow throughout the remainder of the set as the Crusaders earned the 1-0 lead at the end of game one.
Game two saw the teams trade 4-0 runs to tie the score at four all. Madonna would use small runs throughout the duration of the second set to eventually build a 20-13 lead. After the Saints scored to cut the lead to six, 20-14, the Crusaders used a five-point run to gain the 2-0 advantage with a 25-14 set two decision.
The third saw a tie score at six before Madonna took the final lead of the match and take the 3-0 win.
• Rebekah Collier (Waterford, Mich.) was the Saints most efficient attack option as she finished with five kills and a .714 attack percentage.
• Ashleigh Shay (Brooklyn, Mich.) also recorded five kills to contribute on offense.
• Gray added four kills and six digs to her stat line.
• The defense was led by senior Bianca Negron (Adrian, Mich.) who totaled 10 digs.
• Taylor Suurmeyer (16 kills) and Erica LaBaere (11) led the Crusaders on the attack.
• Lauren Korth ran the offense with a match-high 32 assists to go along with seven kills and five digs.
• Alyssa Facione and Jodie Kelly each led the defensive with 12 digs.
Siena travels to Goshen, Indiana this weekend to compete in a tri-match between host Goshen (Ind.) and IUSB. The first match for the Saints begins at 11:00 a.m., against Goshen. Match two against IUSB is set for a 1:00 p.m., start time.