ADRIAN, Mich. -- The Siena Heights women's volleyball team dropped both of its opening day matches of the 2019 Siena Heights Women's Volleyball Invitational. The Saints were defeated by Taylor (Ind.) and Bethel (Ind.) in straight sets to start the season 0-2. Senior setter Carrigan Gray (Bowling Green, Ohio) paced the SHU attack with 41 assists on the day.
Final Scores: Taylor 3, SHU 0 (25-16, 25-13, 25-20) / Bethel (Ind.) 3, SHU 0 (27-25, 25-17, 25-21)
Location: Adrian, Michigan (SHU Fieldhouse)
Record: Siena Heights (0-2)
HOW IT HAPPENED
The Trojans took a 1-0 lead after earning a 25-16 decision in set one. Taylor extended the lead to 2-0 after hitting .423 as a team in set two for the 25-13 victory. The Saints continued to fight as they pulled within five points in the third set but came up short 25-20.
Siena Heights pushed Bethel (Ind.) to extra points in the opening set of the match, but the Pilots edged the Saints 27-25 to take a 1-0 lead. SHU struggled offensively in set two, hitting the only negative hitting percentage (-.064) of the day to fall behind 2-0. The Saints rallied in the third set but fell just short again after Bethel used a match-high .333 team attack percentage to earn the win.
• Janel Ruhlman (North Branch, Mich.) led the Saints attack with 16 kills on the day. She also tallied seven digs and two blocks.
• Anna Tartarian (Monroe, Mich.) finished the day with 10 kills, 11 digs, one solo block.
• Gray added five kills, 21 digs, and two services aces to her stat line.
• Taylor (Ind.) was led by Ryan Czerniak 13 kills, Kacy Bragg with 27 assists, and Samantha Korn had 17 digs.
• Bethel (Ind.) leaders were Payton Hart (13 kills), Madison Beaver (28 assists), and Bridget Downs (15 digs).
The Saints begin day two with a matchup against Roosevelt (Ill.) at 9:00 a.m., EDT. Siena ends the tournament with a 3:00 p.m., EDT match against Spring Arbor.