ADRIAN, Mich. -- The Siena Heights women's volleyball team defeated Concordia (Mich.) in four sets on Saturday night in the SHU Fieldhouse. Carrigan Gray (Bowling Green, Ohio) tallied a double-double with 26 assists and 13 digs in the win.
Final Score: Siena Heights 3, Concordia 1 (20-25, 25-19, 25-15, 25-21)
Location: Adrian, Michigan (SHU Fieldhouse)
Records: Siena Heights (4-8, 2-4 WHAC), Concordia (4-8, 1-5 WHAC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
The Cardinals built a six-point lead (14-8) in the first set and used it to earn the 25-20 decision and gain a 1-0 lead over the Saints.
Siena Heights would build a five-point lead of its own (12-7) in the second set before using a 4-0 run to extend it to nine points. Concordia would rally to bring things within three points (17-14) but the Saints held on for the 25-19 win and tie things at one game apiece.
SHU would use a 7-0 run at the end of set three to earn a 25-15 victory and gain the lead 2-1 in the set score. The Saints hit a match-high .233 in the third stanza to put the Cardinals on the ropes going into the fourth set.
Grace Polomcak (Niles, Mich.) rattled off three straight service aces to give Siena a 12-8 lead in the fourth set. That lead would dwindle to a tie at 15, 18, and 21 points. Victoria Nerkowski (Mason, Mich.) recorded a kill that sparked a 4-0 run for the Saints that would end the match with a 3-1 decision for SHU.
• Janel Ruhlman (North Branch, Mich.) led the Saints with 12 kills. She also had a service ace, three digs, and four blocks.
• Nerkowski finished with nine kills, five digs, and six blocks.
• Gray added a block to her 26 assists, 13 dig stat line.
• Ally Conly (Linden, Mich.) registered a career-high 31 digs to lead all in that category.
• Gabrielle den Boer led the Cardinals with 14 kills and four blocks.
• Hailey McCourt set the tone offensively with 24 assists.
• Tara Schatzle registered 26 digs.
Siena hits the road on Wednesday, October 2 to face UNOH in a WHAC matchup. That match will the first in a three-game road trip and it starts at 7:00 p.m., EST.