ADRIAN, Mich. -- The Siena Heights women's volleyball team dropped a 3-1 decision to Madonna on Wednesday evening in the SHU Fieldhouse. Grace Polomcak (Niles, Mich.) led the Saints in the losing effort with a double-double in kills (13) and digs (16).
Final Score: Madonna 3, Siena Heights 1 (25-23, 25-20, 22-25, 25-11)
Location: Adrian, Michigan (SHU Fieldhouse)
Records: Madonna (17-7, 9-2 WHAC), Siena Heights (5-13, 2-9 WHAC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
The Crusaders took a 1-0 lead after edging the Saints 25-23 in an opening set of the match. Madonna never surrendered the lead despite Siena Heights tying the score six times throughout the first set.
An 11-0 run by the visitors proved to be the difference in the second set as the Crusaders jumped to a 2-0 lead. The Saints were able to cut the deficit four points, but couldn't get any closer before Madonna earned the final kill to take the 25-20 decision.
Siena Heights used runs of 7-0 and 5-0 to build a 14-7 lead in the third set. SHU maintained the lead throughout even when Madonna rallied to cut the deficit to just one point (22-21). The Saints tallied three of the next four points to earn the win and put the score at 2-1 in the match.
Siena jumped out to a 3-0 lead in the fourth set, but the Crusaders responded with an 8-0 run with five of those points coming off service aces by Ryan Castle. The visitor continued to build on the lead through the set before ending the match with a 25-11 victory.
• Polomcak added two assists to her team-leading stat line.
• Carrigan Gray (Bowling Green, Ohio) paced the attack with 31 assists. She also contributed six kills and nine digs.
• Karsyn Wolf (Temperance, Mich.) finished with 18 digs to lead the defense.
• Victoria Nerkowski (Mason, Mich.) added five kills, three digs, and two blocks.
• Jodie Kelly completed the match with 29 kills and 15 digs to lead Madonna.
• Jordyn Dawson had a match-high 58 assists while also totaling 10 digs.
• Olivia Sweeney led the defense with 21 digs.
The Saints travel to Rochester on Saturday, October 19 to begin a four-game road trip. The match is scheduled to begin at 1:00 p.m., EST.